Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Report Birth Abroad

The U.S. Embassy in Apia provides limited U.S. consular services in Samoa. The consular section of the U.S. Embassy in Apia falls under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Consulate General in Auckland, NZ. Some of the links provided in this page will revert to the relevant information on the Consulate in Auckland’s website.

Information on Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) at

Eligibility for a CRBA:

In order to determine whether or not the U.S. citizen parent(s) is/are able to transmit citizenship, please refer to the transmission requirements.

If the transmission requirements have been met, please submit the following in person at the Embassy we are located on the 5th floor ACC building, Matafele.

1. The applicant (child) and at-least one parent, preferably the U.S. citizen parent;

2. Completed (but not signed) CRBA application (Form DS-2029) all questions must be answered;

3. If the U.S. citizen parent is not able to attend the appointment, they must complete the Affidavit of Parentage, Physical Presence and Support, have it notarized by a Public Notary or Justice of the Peace which must be submitted in their absence;

4. Child’s Birth Certificate;

5. Parents’ registered marriage certificate (if applicable);

6. Evidence of termination of any previous marriages (if applicable);

7. American Citizen Parent(s)’ evidence of U.S. Citizenship (U.S. passport or naturalization certificate);

8. American Citizen Parent’s documentary evidence of physical presence in the United States prior to the child’s birth;

10. Applicable Fee (All fees are subject to change without notice).

Reporting your child’s birth in Samoa

As U.S. citizen parent(s), you should report your child's birth abroad as soon as possible to the U.S. Embassy to establish an official record of the child's claim to U.S. citizenship at birth. The official record will be the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Form FS-240 which is a basic United States citizenship document.

You must appear in person with your child. You may contact us directly by email or by phone +685 21631+685 21631 ext 2222 to book an appointment 

You may apply for a passport and Social Security Number when you submit your child’s Report of Birth Abroad application.

If the U.S. citizen parent does not meet the transmission requirements  and the child is under 18 years of age, the child may be eligible for expeditious naturalization under the Child Citizenship Act 2000.

Transmitting Citizenship

Transmission of U.S. citizenship depends on

  1. At least one parent having the nationality of the United States at the time of the child’s birth;
  2. The existence of a blood relationship between the child and U.S. citizen parent(s);
  3. Documentary evidence demonstrating the U.S. citizen parent(s)’ presence in the United States prior to the child’s birth, as specified in the Transmission Requirements Table below.

Examples of Documentation

Some examples of documentary evidence which may be considered to demonstrate that physical presence requirements have been met may include (but are not limited to):

  • Wage and tax statements (W-2)
  • Academic transcripts
  • Employment records
  • Rental receipts
  • Records of honorable U.S. military service, employment with U.S. Government or certain intergovernmental international organizations; or as a dependent, unmarried child and member of the household of a parent in such service or employment (except where indicated).
  • U.S. passport stamps may be considered a part of the evidence submitted, but should not be the sole documentary evidence. Drivers’ licenses do not constitute evidence of physical presence.

If you have other children who have been issued with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, this may be considered as supplemental evidence. Please also read important information regarding Supporting Documents.

Transmission Requirements Table

This table is intended for use only as a general reference guide. Final adjudication authority rests with the consular officer. For the purpose of transmission of citizenship, Residence and Physical Presence are not considered to be the same. Sufficient documentation should be submitted which adequately demonstrates that these periods of time have been met.

If parents are married at the time of the child’s birth, but only one is a U.S. Citizen:

The U.S. Citizen parent must have had physical presence in the U.S. or its possessions for at least five years, two of which must be after the age of 14. (This is only for children born on or after November 14, 1986.)

If parents are unmarried at time of child’s birth, the mother is a U.S. citizen and the father is a non-U.S. citizen:

The mother must have had physical presence in the U.S. or its possession for one continuous year.
(For Children born on or after December 24, 1952.)

If parents are unmarried at the time of the child’s birth, the father is a U.S. citizen and the mother is a non-U.S. citizen:

The father must have had physical presence in the U.S. or its possessions for five years, two years of which were after the age of 14; and blood relationship established between father and child; and father (unless deceased) agrees in writing, prior to the child turning 18, to support child until age 18; and while child is under age 18:

  • child is legitimated; or
  • father acknowledges paternity under oath; or
  • paternity established by court adjudication.

(For children born on or after November 14, 1986)