Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Federal Benefits - Social Security

Social Security Administration (

*Some of the links below are PDF files, which can be downloaded using Adobe Reader. If you do not have Adobe Reader, download the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader from here.

Social Security claims for Samoa are handled by the Regional Social Security Office in Manila, Philippines, therefore we are limited in the information we can provide regarding Social Security.

If you would like to apply for retirement, survivors or disability benefits the American Citizens Services section at the U.S. Embassy in Apia can provide you with a questionnaire which you need to complete and forward to the Regional Social Security Office in Manila, Philippines.

To receive this information packet call +685 21631.

Applications for Social Security Numbers may be made through the U.S. Embassy in Apia which will forward your documents appropriately.  When your documents are received, the Social Security Administration will assign a number, which will be mailed directly to you. The process takes several months.

Before a Social Security number is issued, Social Security will contact the office that issued your birth record to make sure the record you provide is valid.

The Social Security Administration publication Protecting Social Security NumbersPDF Document size: 30Kb *PDF Document) details the changes in the way Social Security Numbers and cards are issued.

Questions about the changes are answered in Social Security Administration (SSA) Protects Social Security Numbers  publication.

You may also be interested in 'There's Something About Social Security Benefits - Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP)PDF Document size: 720Kb *PDF Document).

If you have not received your Social Security number within 6 months, please contact the U.S. Embassy, Apia.  Ph: +685 21436, or email Email link

If you are 12 years or older and are applying for a Social Security number for the first time you will need to appear in person, either at a U.S. Consular Office abroad or at a Social Security office in the U.S.

The Social Security Administration website contains information about benefits, payments and International Services for U.S. citizens who are residing outside of the U.S.

The Department of Veterans Affairs website has a list of benefits available for Veterans.

See the FAQs on Social Security for further information.